Restaurant-Style Cheese Sticks
- Serves 24 sticks
- Prep time 15 minutes
- Cook time 12 minutes
- 180 ml (3/4 cup) panko breadcrumbs
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) plain breadcrumbs
- 45 ml (3 tbsp) Parmesan, grated
- 5 ml (1 tsp) paprika
- 5 ml (1 tsp) thyme, chopped
- 10 ml (2 tsp) oregano, chopped
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) flour
- 12 white cheddar cheese strings (like Ficello), cut in half
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 litre (4 cups) canola oil
In a bowl, mix the breadcrumbs, Parmesan, paprika and herbs. Coat the pieces of cheese in flour and shake off the excess.
Dip the pieces of cheese in the beaten eggs.
Coat the pieces in breadcrumbs, then dip back into the beaten eggs and the breadcrumb mixture.
In a deep fryer or large pot, heat the oil until it reaches 190°C (375°F) on a cooking thermometer. Fry a few of the cheese sticks at a time for 2 to 3 minutes until golden and crispy. Drain on paper towels.
Side dish idea
- Smoked Paprika Tomato Sauce
Heat 15 ml (1 tbsp) olive oil in a pot over medium heat. Cook 1 chopped onion and 15 ml (1 tbsp) of minced garlic for 1 minute. Add 1 can (540 ml) of diced tomatoes and 15 ml (1 tbsp) of smoked paprika. Season with salt and pepper, and stir. Simmer over medium-low heat for 15 minutes.
Leave a comment