- Serves 24 pickles
- Prep time 20 minutes
- Cook time 10 minutes
Per serving (1 pickle): Calories – 103; Protein – 1 g; Fat – 7 g; Carbohydrates – 7 g; Fibre – 0 g; Iron – 0 mg; Calcium – 10 mg; Sodium – 119 mg
- 2 litres (8 cups) of canola oil
- 12 sweet baby pickles,
- 12 sliced dill sandwich pickles
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) of flour
For the batter:
- 180 ml (3/4 cup) of flour
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) of cornstarch
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) of baking powder
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) of Cajun seasoning
- 1 egg
- 250 ml (1 cup) of blonde beer
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) of panko breadcrumbs
- Heat oil in a fryer or large pot until it reaches 190°C (375°F) on a cooking thermometer. If you are using a pot, make sure the oil doesn’t overheat and catch on fire.
- In a bowl, mix the flour for the batter with the cornstarch, baking powder and Cajun seasoning.
- In another bowl, beat the egg with beer. Gradually incorporate the dry ingredients until the batter is smooth.
- Add panko breadcrumbs and stir.
- Dry the pickles thoroughly with paper towel.
- Place the flour in a shallow bowl. Roll the baby pickles in flour, then dip them in the batter.
- Fry the baby pickles for 2 minutes, turning them several times, until they’re golden and crunchy. Drain on paper towels.
- Repeat steps 6 and 7 with the sliced sandwich pickles.
Side dish idea:
Mix 180 ml (3/4 cup) mayonnaise with 30 ml (2 tbsp) horseradish, 15 ml (1 tbsp) honey, 30 ml (2 tbsp) chopped shallots, 30 ml (2 tbsp) chopped parsley and 5 ml (1 tsp) powdered Korean pepper or Espelette pepper.
Leave a comment