Step by Step: Homemade Bread
- Serves 2 loaves (12 slices per loaf)
- Prep time 20 minutes
- Inactive 2 hours 40 minutes
- Cook time 30 minutes
- 1 packet (8 g) Fleischmann’s quick-rise instant yeast
- 10 ml (2 tsp) sugar
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) warm water
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) vegetable shortening
- 7.5 ml (1/2 tbsp) salt
- 250 ml (1 cup) 2% milk, hot
- 250 ml (1 cup) boiling water
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) molasses
- 1 l (4 cups) unbleached bread flour
- 500 ml (2 cups) white flour
In a bowl, mix the yeast with the sugar and warm water. Let it sit for 2 to 3 minutes, until the yeast dissolves.
In another bowl, mix the shortening with the salt. Pour in the hot milk and let the shortening melt. Stir in the boiling water and molasses and let cool.
Add the milk preparation to the yeast. Then add half the flour and mix well. Mix in the rest of the flour.
Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until dough is soft and elastic. Place the dough in a bowl.
Cover the bowl with a damp towel and let the dough rise for 2 hours at room temperature, until it has doubled in volume.
Punch down the dough and divide it into two balls.
On a lightly floured surface, shape each ball of dough into a round loaf. Let them sit for 40 minutes at room temperature, until the dough has doubled in size again.
When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 205°C (400°F). Place the loaves on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until the loaves are golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool on a rack.