Slow Cooker Bread
- Serves 10 slices
- Prep time 20 minutes
- Cook time 1 hour 30 minutes on high (slow cooker)
Per serving: Calories – 173; Protein – 5 g; Fat – 4 g; Carbohydrates – 29 g; Fibre – 1 g; Iron – 2 mg; Calcium – 7 mg; Sodium – 476 mg
Baking bread can often seem like a complicated endeavour, but all you really need are a few good ingredients, a little time and… a slow cooker! This handy little appliance is not just for simmering stews—you can use it for all kinds of recipes, from soups to desserts, and yes, even bread. Here’s a ridiculously simple recipe for slow cooker bread that’ll show you just how easy it is to bake bread at home. You’ll be so proud to show off this delicious loaf to your family! However you serve it—with butter, a sweet spread or even homemade hummus—this bread is simply divine. Caution: this recipe is highly addictive and may cause the delicious scent of freshly baked bread to fill your home.
- 330 ml (1 1/3 cup) of warm water
- 1packet (8 g) quick-rise instant yeast
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) sugar
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 625 ml (2 1/2 cups) all-purpose flour
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) whole wheat flour
- 10 ml (2 tsp) salt
- In a bowl, mix the water with the yeast, sugar and oil. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- In another bowl, mix both flours with the salt. Add the yeast mixture and stir until smooth.
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 8 to 10 minutes, until it forms a soft and elastic ball. Add a little flour if the dough is too sticky.
- Line the inside of the slow cooker with a sheet of parchment paper. Place the dough in the centre of the slow cooker. To keep moisture away from the loaf, place a towel over the slow cooker, not touching the dough, and keep it in place with the cover.
- Cook on high for 1 hour and 30 minutes to 2 hours, until the crust is golden brown.
- If desired, transfer the bread to a baking sheet and place in the oven under the broiler for 2 to 3 minutes to crisp up the crust.
Leave a comment