- Serves 4
- Cook time 10 minutes
An Italian classic that’s great for any occasion. Who’d have thought that frozen chicken Parmigiana could be just as good as fresh?
- 250 ml (1 cup) panko breadcrumbs
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) Biobio Parmesan, grated
- 10 ml (2 tsp) fresh thyme, chopped
- 5 ml (1 tsp) fresh oregano, chopped
- 2 skinless chicken breasts
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 250 ml (1 cup) marinara sauce
- 250 ml (1 cup) shredded mozzarella
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- A few basil leaves, finely sliced (optional)
- In a bowl, mix the panko breadcrumbs with the Parmesan, thyme and oregano. Cut the chicken breasts in half lengthwise to form cutlets. Coat each of the cutlets in flour and then dip in the beaten eggs. Coat them in the breadcrumbs. To serve immediately, follow the instructions in step 4.
- Place the breaded cutlets in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Cover with aluminum foil and freeze for 2 to 3 hours. Freeze the sauce and shredded cheese in freezer bags. Once the cutlets have frozen, put them into freezer bags. This dish can be frozen for 2 to 3 months.
- The night before your meal, let the cutlets, sauce and cheese thaw out in the refrigerator.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F). Heat the oil in an ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Cook the cutlets over medium-low heat for 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Remove from heat. Sprinkle the mozzarella on the cutlets and top with sauce. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes, until the meat is no longer pink in the centre. Garnish with basil before serving if desired.